Oh Friday, how glad I am to see you. And because I’m so happy to see Friday, I had to share this fantastic recipe with you today, to make you just as happy as I am!
I try to look on the bright side of things, though I’m not always successful. But in cases like this, I’m thankful that the money hadn’t cleared yet and that it will be credited back to our account from the pending status. I’m thankful that I caught it as quickly as I did, and that my bank is always so good at handling fraud cases like this. And, I’m thankful that we can manage for the few days it takes for me to get a new card and for the money to be reinstated to “available funds” and that there are no pending withdrawals scheduled to clear the bank in the interim. I choose to focus on the positive, because focusing on the negative isn’t going to change what has happened and will only cause me to stress out unnecessarily. The fraud rep who helped me informed me that there is a new way that these thieves are swiping, and it only requires them to walk by you. That’s it. They carry some little scanner that can scan through your wallet or purse, and copy your magnetic strip. WHAT?!?! You can bet I’ll be getting a new wallet – either one with the metal strips in it, or a metal case for my credit cards.
You know what also helps after an unfortunate event puts a damper on the day? Well, besides wine or a cocktail? A good meal. This chicken. That glaze. I mean…spicy honey bacon glaze…maybe if I turned that into a cocktail I could just drink my dinner. I kid, I kid. Must have actual food nourishment.
And I’m not actually that into bacon, as far as bacon-flavored-everything. Nope. I’ll just take good ol’ real bacon. And douse it in honey, Worcestershire and hot sauce. And then pour it over chicken strips that are marinated in balsamic vinegar (my fav!) and grilled to perfection. How could that not make any bad day better? Well maybe not any bad day, but ones like I had yesterday at least.
Balsamic grilled chicken topped with an ooey-gooey, spicy honey bacon glaze. You need this deliciousness in your life.
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into tender-size strips
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp garlic pepper seasoning
For the glaze
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 3/4 cup honey
- 3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce of choice (I used one we brought back from Costa Rica)
- In a large, resealable plastic bag, combine the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, honey, and garlic pepper seasoning. Stir or squish it all together to mix. Add the chicken strips, seal and squish to coat, then place in fridge to marinate for 2-24 hours.
- Preheat your grill or grill pan (or just a plain ol’ skillet) to medium-high heat. Spray with cooking spray or a drizzle or swipe (grill) of olive oil to prevent sticking. Remove the chicken from the marinade (discard the marinade) and cook for 3-5 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, place the bacon pieces in a large skillet and cook over medium heat until browned and crisp. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and allow to cool some.
- Drain the grease from the pan, but don’t clean it. With the burner still on medium, add the honey, Worcestershire, and hot sauce. Bring to a gentle boil, then add the bacon pieces. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes until it has thickened lightly, then remove from heat. The glaze will continue to thicken as it cools down.
- Serve the chicken topped with the honey bacon glaze, and try not to drool too much before your first bite!