A few years ago at some random chain restaurant I had a Caesar salad that had penne pasta in it…and I thought this was the most amazing, genius thing ever!! I mean, I love salad and I like pasta, so why not combine them in one yummy dish?? Ever since then, if I see a salad with any sort of noodle in it, I’m drawn to it.
Thai Shrimp Salad
Source: Bev Cooks
- 6 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp sambal oelek (chili paste)
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp minced red pepper
- 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, blanched and cooled in an ice bath
- 2 bundles rice (vermicelli) noodles, boiled and rinsed under cool water
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced sweet peppers
- cilantro, mint leaves and crushed peanuts for garnish
- pinch of coarse salt and freshly ground peanuts
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 4 tablespoons of oil, soy sauce, fish sauce, sambal oelek, sugar, lime juice and the minced red pepper. Set aside.
- Now, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add the shrimp, season with salt and pepper and sear on one side for 2 minutes. Flip and sear another minute.
- To assemble the salads, layer a handful of romaine in the bottom of a couple of salad bowls. Then top with a handful of noodles, the snow peas, peppers, tomatoes, shrimp, cilantro, mint, and some good crushed peanuts. Shake up (or whisk) your dressing one last time and then drizzle it over the salads.
- Delish!!! You’re welcome 😉