I saw this recipe on How Sweet It Is a few weeks ago, and knew immediately that I had to make it. I had to push it out a few weeks on the food calendar due to vacation and the detox diet, but as soon as we broke free of that (until next week, anyway), I knew I had to make it. And it was definitely worth the wait!! Crispy, tequila-marinated chicken with avocados and strawberries…yes please! And if you happen to have a margarita on hand to enjoy with the tacos – even better!! I still had some baking to do, so I refrained from indulging in the bottle of tequila that seemed to be staring at me from the counter. Really…it was…I’m not crazy!
Crispy Margarita Chicken Tacos with Strawberry-Avocado Salsa
Adapted from: How Sweet It Is
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup tequila
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- zest of 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1.5 cups panko bread crumbs
- 4Tbsp whole wheat flour
- zest of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 4 large strawberries, chopped
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- juice of half a lime
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 4-inch tortillas (whichever type you prefer)
- Combine oil, tequila, lime juice, lime zest, and coriander in a baking dish. Season chicken with salt and pepper, then slice into strips lengthwise. Add the chicken to the marinade, cover and put in the fridge until ready to make.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Combine panko, flour, lime zest and coriander in a bowl. Lay a wire rack on a baking sheet and spray with non-stick spray. Remove chicken from marinade and coat strips in panko mixture, pressing so the crumbs stick. Lay them on the baking sheet then give them a quick spray of non-stick spray. Bake for 10 minutes, flip, then bake 10 more.
- While chicken is cooking, combine avocado, tomato, and strawberries and cilantro. Mix with salt, pepper and lime juice.
- Heat tortillas if desired, then serve with crisp chicken, salsa, and toppings of your choice (cheese, lettuce, etc).