Well, it wasn’t my intention to post two shrimp recipes in a row, but hey, it happens. And after all, shrimp is delicious. And yesterday was a burger. Today…tacos! Totally different animals, so-to-speak.
Spicy Shrimp Tacos with Garlic Cilantro Lime Slaw
As seen on Pinch of Yum
For the Garlic Cilantro Lime Sauce
- ¼ cup oil
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- juice of 2 limes
- zest of 1 lime
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
For the Shrimp Tacos
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 1 tsp each chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp southwestern seasoning (I used Mrs. Dash Southwestern Chipotle)
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
- 2-3 cups shredded green cabbage
- 4-6 tortillas (I use a corn and whole wheat blend)
- 1-2 avocados, peeled and pit removed
- shredded cheese for topping (I used Pepper Jack)
- lime wedges for serving
- Place all of the sauce ingredients, except the Greek yogurt, in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add the Greek yogurt and pulse again until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary, then set aside until ready to use.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place the shrimp in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the chili powder, cumin, southwestern seasoning, and cayenne. Sprinkle the seasonings over the shrimp and toss to coat.
- Add the shrimp to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes, then stir or flip and cook for an additional 2 minutes, or until cooked through.
- In a large bowl, place the cabbage and add sauce, a little at a time, until it is coated to your liking. Don’t add it all at once, it will likely be too much and make the cabbage soggy.
- Smash the avocados with a fork in a bowl, and season with salt and pepper to taste. I like to add a good squeeze of lime as well.
- To assemble tacos, warm the tortillas, smear a good spoonful of avocado on the tortillas, then top with shrimp, garlic cilantro lime coleslaw, a drizzle of the left over sauce if you like, shredded cheese, and a squeeze of lime juice.