Well, that’s a mouthful of a title, isn’t it?? But, so are these tacos.
These tacos…OMG. I told you that I got a lot of good swag at Mixed Con a couple of weekends ago, and some of the goodies included were seasoned crust & sauce packets from Good Table. Usually I make my own coating with Panko and such, but these sounded so good, that I couldn’t wait to try them. The Southwest Tortilla was the first one I wanted to try. Naturally, with chicken. And of course, for tacos!! Duh!
And we can’t have a taco without some sort of sauce, can we? A spicy, yogurt sauce to be more specific. The chicken was nice and crispy on the outside, but still moist inside. No dried out, yucky chicken breast. And then when paired with arugula, tomatoes, avocado, and a yogurt sauce all wrapped in a tortilla?!?! Come on, y’all! You know I was in heaven. J loved them too. I could barely hear him tell me so, though, because I was too busy ooh-ing and aah-ing over my tacos. Ridiculously good.
Crispy, creamy, spicy and light all rolled into one amazing taco. Oh, and I got to use my new DIY backdrop board that J & I made over the weekend, courtesy of the Mixed Con session with In Sock Monkey Slippers author, Meredith. She taught us some easy, but amazing techniques and I can’t wait to try out some of the other methods!
Now, I’m sure this post sounded like one big endorsement, but in reality, I wasn’t sponsored, prompted, or compensated for any of it. I got some good products and knowledge at the conference and just want to share the love with all of you!! That and I’m just ridiculously excited about my new backdrop.
Southwest Tortilla Crusted Chicken Tacos with Chipotle Lime Yogurt Sauce
A Sweet Beginnings Original
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 pkg Good Table Southwest Tortilla coating packet
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1-2 Tbsp crushed chipotles in adobo (depending on your heat preference)
- 1 Tbsp lime juice (more if you want it thinner for drizzling)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6-8 tortillas (I used Mission’s Artisan Corn and Whole Wheat Blend)
- 4 oz arugula
- 1 avocado, peel and pit removed, sliced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered (or a large tomato, diced)
- handful of cilantro leaves
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F, line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Trim chicken of any fat, and use the red sauce packet from the coating packet to coat all the breasts.
- Place the southwest tortilla coating in a shallow dish and press each side of the chicken into the coating and press down so it sticks well.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet and bake for about 25 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Remove to a cutting board and allow to rest for about 5 minutes before cutting into 1/4-inch strips, so the juices can settle back into the meat and not run all over your cutting board.
- Meanwhile, combine the yogurt, chipotles, and lime juice in a medium bowl. Stir until well combined, taste and season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- To assemble, warm the tortillas the top with a handful of arugula, 3-5 chicken slices, a few avocado slices and tomatoes, a good drizzle of the chipotle lime yogurt sauce, and top it all off with a few cilantro leaves and green onions.