I told J that we very appropriately nicknamed our little baby-to-be, “Tater” as carby foods seem to be what she has me craving most of the time. Whether it’s tacos, burgers, pizza, chips, etc. the carbs are what taste and settle the best most days. Carbs and salads, oddly enough. So, what could be a better combination than a crispy taco with slaw on it?? Carbs and a salad-like substance all in each glorious taco bite!
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli slaw mix
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- olive oil for pan-frying
- 8 white or yellow corn tortillas
- crumbled feta cheese
- bottled hot sauce for serving
- Place the beans, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl and partially mash with a fork.
- In another bowl, toss the broccoli slaw mix with olive oil, lime juice, scallions and cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Pour enough olive oil in the bottom of a large nonstick skillet to just cover the bottom (not a thick layer) and heat over medium-high heat. Add as many tortillas as you can fit in a single layer. Move the tortillas around in the pan so they’re all evenly coated with oil on both sides.
- After one side is golden brown, flip the tortillas over and spoon 1/4 cup or so of the bean mixture onto one half of each tortilla. Cook for about 1 minute. Fold the tacos in half and cook until golden brown and crispy, 1-2 minutes per side.
- Remove the tacos to a paper towel-lined plate and drain off any excess oil.
- Spoon slaw into each taco and topped with crumbled feta. Serve with hot sauce, if desired, and enjoy!