Have you ever planned a meal with the expectation that it is going to be great based mostly on the title alone? And after looking at the ingredient list, you found an ingredient that looked a little odd…but the end result was so much better than you initially imagined it would be? Well, that’s what happened for me with these tacos.
I was drawn in by the ingredients in the title…avocado, lime, black beans…it sounded like a great vegetarian taco! I pinned it and never really looked at the ingredient list. Until I added it to last week’s menu, and started making my grocery list, that is. As I read the ingredient list and saw egg whites, and then read into the instructions and saw that the egg whites were cooked alone and then placed onto the tortilla, I have to admit that I had doubts about how that was going to work out. But I never should have doubted.
There is one more thing I was unsure about…the tortilla. I wasn’t sure if it would be crispy or soft and pliable. I’m actually still not sure what it is intended to be in the original recipe…but it doesn’t say it should be crispy, and mine turned out soft. My only suggestion to you all is not to put too much topping on the taco thinking that it will be eaten more like a tostada. My first was a bit…challenging…to eat. But that was my own fault. I don’t normally like corn tortillas, but for this taco they worked very nicely. So nicely, that I am now likely to try corn more often. I know, it’s a shock to me too. I re-named the dish to reflect “taco” so it hoepfully won’t mislead anyone else.
The filling was great, the corn tortillas were perfect…and the scrambled egg whites were a nice surprise. Of course the avocado and lime juice were my favorite part, but that shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone at this point. I have a sick love for citrus juice. And avocados. Maybe I’m just sick?? Regardless, you should try these tacos…soon!
binÃÆÃâÃâÃÂ¤re optionen hÃÆÃâÃâÃÂ¼tchentechnik erklÃÆÃâÃâÃÂ¤rt Avocado & Lime Black Bean Tacos
Slightly adapted from Clean Eating Mag
conto demo iqopzione binarie Ingredients
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced small
- 1/4 packed cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and chopped
- 4 white corn tortillas
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 cup shredded, reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend or mozzarella
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 8 egg whites
- 1/4 cup plain, fat-free greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with foil.
- In a small saucepan, warm the black beans over medium heat, about 2 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool for a couple of minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine beans, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice and salt. Stir in the avocado and set aside.
- Place the tortillas on the prepared baking sheet and generously sprinkle the cumin on each tortilla. Add a few tablespoons of cheese on each tortilla and bake for about 5 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat and coat lightly with cooking spray. Add the egg whites and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until white. Gently stir to scramble the egg whites and remove from heat.
- Plate the tortillas, and top with a couple of tablespoons of egg whites, 1/4 – 1/3 cup of the avocado and bean mixture, then finish with a dollop of the greek yogurt. Fold gently and enjoy!