I’ve come to the conclusion that I don’t have nearly enough side dish recipes on the blog. Mostly because I don’t make a lot of blog-worthy side dishes. Basic grains and veggies accompany dinner most nights, maybe a salad for some. But every now and then, I decided that I need to step it up a notch with the side dishes, and this is one that’s been on my to-make list for a long time.
Heck, you could even add some cubed chicken in there and call it dinner, if you wanted to.
But really, this is a pretty perfect side dish, and perhaps a way to sneak some veggies into those kiddos? I mean, they can see the spinach, but the pesto and creaminess from the Parmesan will cover up any vegetable taste.
Oh! And I got to use a new bowl that we got as a wedding gift – isn’t it the cutest? I get excited about dishes so yeah, I’m officially old and boring. And I’m ok with that.
What’s not old and boring, though, is this dish (the food, not the bowl – though the bowl is pretty rad, too.)
Quick and easy to throw together, creamy and full of flavor, and packed with spinach-y goodness, to boot!
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water, chicken or vegetable broth
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 4 Tbsp basil pesto
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- Place quinoa and chicken or broth in a large sauce pan or stock pot, and cook according to package instructions.
- Once done cooking, turn heat to medium and add spinach (a little at a time so it wilts and you can fit more in,) pesto, salt and cheese. Stir until spinach is wilted and cheese has melted and all is well-combined.
- Serve with extra cheese sprinkled on top.