I really enjoyed this drink and it will definitely be a summer staple for me. And for those of you who enjoy the adult beverages, you could always add a bit of vodka to spruce it up!
Sparkling Basil Lemonade
Source: Better Homes and Gardens
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves (about 1-1/2 ounces)
- 2 1 liter bottles club soda, chilled
- 2 cups lemon juice
- Ice cubes
- 1 fresh jalapeno chile pepper, sliced and seeds removed
- Fresh basil leaves
- For basil syrup, combine water, sugar, and basil in a large pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Strain syrup and discard leaves. Cover and chill syrup for 2 to 24 hours to let the flavors really blend.
- For lemonade, combine the chilled syrup, club soda, and lemon juice in a large pitcher or punch bowl.
- Serve over ice and garnish with jalapeno slices and fresh basil leaves.