Um…you guys. How in the world is July almost over already?? I mean, in one month…ONE MONTH…I turn 34. How is this possible?? My mind swears I’m still 19. Every other part of me disagrees, but that mind of mine…it’s hard to ignore. And then the reality hits…34…how can it be?? I’m not one of those gals who freaks out about getting older (and no, I don’t think 34 is “old” so don’t freak out on me.) I didn’t think turning 30 was a big deal like some of my friends. But 34?!?! I just don’t know where the time has gone!
I do, however, know where this salad went…in mah bellah!! Well, mine and J’s, of course.
It’s Friday, and it didn’t get here fast enough (unlike the looming birthday that is approaching…it can wait just a leetle bit longer!) There are a couple of bedrooms in this house that are begging for some organization attention, so that’s where you can find me this weekend. You, on the other had, should be found in the kitchen. Making this salad. It will be epic and you’ll be the lunch hero.
For the salad
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ lb raw shrimp, tails removed
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 1 lg avocado (or 2 small), peeled, pit removed, and sliced
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 4 cups baby spinach or baby kale
- fresh chopped cilantro for topping
For the dressing
- 1-inch piece of fresh peeled ginger
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp lime juice (more to taste)
- 2 Tbsp agave nectar
- 1½ Tbsp white miso (it’s like a paste – you can buy it at many regular grocery stores)
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- ¼ tsp salt
- Heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and shrimp and season with the chili powder and cayenne. Saute for about 2 minutes on each side until the shrimp are cooked through and golden.
- Place the greens, avocado, and cucumber in your serving bowls and top with shrimp.
- Puree all the dressing ingredients together in a food processor until smooth. When ready to serve, pour the dressing over the salad and top with fresh cilantro.