I’ve been seeing shrimp & grits, and other grits-related recipes floating around lately and I realized that I’ve never had grits before, and I have this preconceived notion that I don’t like them because they remind me of cream of wheat. I asked some of my readers on facebook how they felt about them, and it turns out grits are well-liked by many. So, when the Secret Recipe Club assignments came around for December, I saw Shrimp & Grits and decided it was time to give it a try!!
For those of you who don’t know about the SRC, the concept is that each month the members are assigned a blog and can choose any recipe from their assigned blog, to then be posted about on a designated day. It’s a great way to discover new blogs and it’s a lot of fun to boot!If you are interested just click on the link above for information and to join!
I was assigned the blog Cook Lisa Cook and what a treat! Not only did I find a recipe that I’ve been wanting to try, but she also has so many other wonderful recipes to try. And so many are kid-friendly as she cooks with and for her daughter Maisie. Check out her blog for some amazing recipes!
Now, for the shrimp and grits…I wasn’t sure I would like grits, and as it turns out – I’m really not a fan. The recipe was wonderful, and the shrimp/gravy was absolutely delicious, but I have texture issues and grits just didn’t settle well. They were creamy and tasted good, but the texture was too much for my (sometimes) picky palate. However, this is ONLY a texture issue for me, not taste or anything lacking in the recipe itself. I’m so glad that I took the opportunity to try something new, and while it wasn’t my personal cup o’ tea, the flavors were wonderful and I highly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of grits! And, the shrimp topping did not go to waste as I cooked up some rice and made a next-day meal out of it!
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups quick grits
- 1/4 cup chopped bacon
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons each, diced red and green bell peppers
- 1/4 cup diced leek
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 36 medium shrimp, peeled, tails removed, and deveined
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a medium saucepan on medium-high heat, bring 6 cups water, the butter, and salt to a boil.
- Slowly whisk in the grits. Continue whisking occasionally for about 5 minutes, until the grits are thick and tender. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- For the gravy, sauté the bacon in a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat until the fat is rendered.
- Stir in the onion, peppers, leek, and garlic and cook until soft. Add the shrimp and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle in the flour, and stir, making sure all the flour is well incorporated. Add the wine and cream, stirring well until the sauce has thickened.
- In a small bottle or bowl, mix the salt, pepper, and garlic powder and season the gravy to taste.
- Serve the shrimp & gravy over grits.