I love a good burger, don’t you? I usually prefer a nice, juicy beef burger with jalapenos and pepperjack cheese. Yum. However, when I saw these turkey burgers, even with all those veggies packed inside, I knew they were going to be delicious. And healthy, to boot!
I made a few changes to the original recipe, like putting spinach in the patty instead of broccoli (solely because I didn’t have broccoli on hand), and I added avocados on top instead of spinach, since it was already inside. I’ve been on a roll with peanut sauce dishes (another one coming soon!), and this one was delicious, too!!
I will say, though, that these are not grill-friendly burgers. I mean, you could try it…but I’d really hate for you to lose those patties through the grates…they’re just a bit too flimsy for that. But, you should definitely fire up the stove and cook these bad boys up for lunch this weekend. Pretty, healthy, and delicious!! A good way to stay on track in the midst of summer.
Thai Turkey Burgers
Slightly adapted from Iowa Girl Eats
For the peanut sauce
- 3 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
For the patty
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped spinach
- 3 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Avocado slices
- 4 burger buns (or bread of your choice)
- In a food processor (or blender), combine the ingredients for the sauce and mix until very smooth. Remove 2 tablespoons of the sauce in a separate bowl, and set aside.
- In a larger bowl, combine the remaining sauce with the turkey, carrots, spinach, green onion, cilantro, salt and red pepper flakes. Mix well and form into 4 patties and place on a large plate. Refrigerate for about 10 minutes to help them set, for easier handling.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and spray with non-stick spray. Cook the patties for 3-4 minutes on each side, until they are no longer pink in the middle.
- Toast your buns, if you prefer, top each bottom bun with a patty, then top with peanut sauce, avocado slices, and the top bun.
BAM!! Healthy never tasted so good!!