I’m very excited about today. Not only because I get to share this fantastic sammich with you, but also because I am going to a local bake shop to take a tiered cake class!! Yep, I’m going to learn how to construct a tiered cake…woohoo!! And then tonight, I get to spend some time with Baby C while T and Mr. T have a date night. What a great Saturday!!
I hope you have something fun planned for the day, whether it’s a quiet day at home with the family, or something fun outside! The good news is, that these sammiches are good on a traditional grill outside, or made inside on a grill pan or George Foreman grill. You do need to prep the chicken in the marinade the night before, but once the marinade is done it takes less than 10 minutes to prepare the sammiches!
The marinade is so good, and very necessary to the flavor success of the sammich, so don’t skip that step! And then, of course, the sweetness of the pineapple rings on top…a perfect taste of Hawaii between two buns!! So, get that chicken marinating so that you can enjoy these tomorrow!!
Hawaiian Chicken Sammiches
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 pineapple rings from a can
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- 2 hamburger buns or kaiser rolls
- 2 Tbsp of miracle whip or mayo
- Place the chicken breasts in a plastic, resealable bag, and use the flat side of a meat mallet (or rolling pin) to pound the chicken to an even thickness (1/4-1/2 inch).
- In a small bowl, combine the juice from the pineapple can, soy sauce, brown sugar and mustard and stir to mix. Pour the mixture over the chicken in a plastic bag or small dish with a lid. Place in the fridge and marinate overnight.
- When ready to prepare, heat your grill, grill pan, or counter top grill to medium-high heat. Cover with a thin layer of cooking spray, and cook the chicken for 3-5 minutes per side, until cooked through. Add the cheese during the last couple of minutes, and allow to melt slightly.
- Also add the pineapple to the grill during the last couple of minutes and cook for 1 minute per side, allowing grill marks to form.
- Toast your buns if you’d like, spread 1 tablespoon of mayo on each bottom bun, top with the chicken and 2 pineapple rings per sandwich. Voila! Hawaiian sammich perfection!!