As the weather heats up, more and more grills are lighting up for backyard barbecues, which is why Sarah chose Barbecue/Warm Weather Food for this round of recipe swaps. I hope to be attending many cookouts this summer, to spend time with friends, and of course I would never go without contributing to the feast! So, this swap, I received this Cucumber and Tomato Salad from Tales from the Mad Men Kitchen, and I am so glad that I did! Not only is it a great, refreshing summer side dish that would be great at a barbecue, but it allows me to use one of my very favorite ingredients….VINEGAR!!
Nom nom nom. It’s a wonder that I don’t drink the stuff right out of the bottle. I don’t. But I do drink the stuff that pools at the bottom of the bowl. Go ahead and judge. I’ll just be over here enjoying my yummy salad. And vinegar.
The addition of the mint to this dish adds nicely to the refreshing flavor…the perfect touch! I will absolutely be bringing this to get-togethers this summer, and making it for snacks at home too!
Tomato & Cucumber Salad
Source: Tales from a Mad Men
- 2 large cucumbers – skin peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and sliced
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 container of plum or cherry tomatoes, cut into halves
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped red onion (I omitted, because I don’t like onions)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the cucumbers, vinegar, sugar and salt. Let stand at room temperature for an hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, onion, mint and oil to cucumbers and toss to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper.