For this recipe swap, Sarah gave us the perfect theme – Thanksgiving sides! The recipes were given about a week before Thanksgiving so it was perfect timing, and I was super excited to try something new – especially when it turned out to be something non-pumpkin! Nothing against the pumpkin, but you can vouch that I’d been making quite a few pumpkin desserts the past few weeks. I received this recipe from Melissa of Delicious Melicious and if you take a look to the left bar over there, you’ll notice that her blog is one that I follow! She has some great stuff, so you should definitely cruise over and check it out.
I’m not a huge fan of pecans myself, so I wasn’t sure if I would like the pie or not, but I do LOVE cranberries – well, cranberry juice anyway – so I gave it a try anyway 🙂 The crust was a bit thick for my liking, but may be better if there was more filling to balance it out. Overall it tasted pretty good, though the tartness of the cranberries definitely stood out. Good think I like tart 😉 Cranberry pie is definitely a nice change from all the pumpkin and pecan pies that seem to overrun the Thanksgiving dessert table.
- Butter, For Greasing
- 2 cups (heaping) Cranberries
- 3/4 cups Pecans, Chopped (measure, Then Chop)
- 2/3 cups Sugar
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter, melted
- 2 whole Eggs, Lightly Beaten
- 1 teaspoon Pure Almond Extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar For Sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Generously butter a cake pan or pie pan. Add cranberries to the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle on chopped pecans, then sprinkle on 2/3 cup sugar.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, 1 cup sugar, melted butter, eggs, almond extract, and salt. Stir gently to combine.
- Pour batter slowly over the top in large “ribbons” in order to evenly cover the surface. Spread gently if necessary.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. 5 minutes before removing from oven, sprinkle surface with 1 tablespoon sugar for a little extra crunch.
- Cut into wedges and serve with ice cream or freshly whipped cream.