It’s another Recipe Swap Friday, hosted by Sarah of A Taste of Home Cooking!! I had to sit out of the last round because, as you all have seen, my posting presence has been…lacking…lately and I just couldn’t commit. But life seems to have leveled out a bit…again..and I’m slowly working my way back up to mulitple posts in a week. It’s the little things, right? Ha!
When I received this recipe for Kung Pao Chicken Tacos from Nichole of A Cookaholic Wife, I had to chuckle a bit. I had this on my menu to make for weeks and for one reason or another it kept getting pushed back a week until I finally just took it off. So, I was glad to finally be able to make it!! And now, of course, I feel like a doofus for putting it off for so long because they were deeelicious!! And dangerous. Being able to make yummy Asian food at home could get me into trouble. J wasn’t around for dinner this particular night, so he just got a picture of it instead. I’m such a nice girlfriend 😉
Kung Pao Chicken Tacos
As seen on A Cookaholic Wife, via Cooking Light, October 2012
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup + 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch, divided
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sambal oelek (chile paste)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp roasted peanuts, chopped
- 3/4 cup celery, diced
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1/3 cup green onions, sliced
- lime wedges
- Place the chicken pieces in a large resealable plastic bag with 1 tablespoon of soy sauce. After the chicken is coated with soy sauce, add 1/4 cup of cornstarch to the ziplock and shake to coat the chicken well.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon of canola oil and add the chicken to the pan cook for 3 minutes on each side until cooked thoroughly, about 6-7 minutes total (this can be done in batches). Add the celery and peanuts during the last couple of minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of cornstarch, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, rice vinegar, and sambal oelek in a microwave-safe bowl. Stir until smooth and microwave on high for 1 1/2 minutes until slightly thick, stirring twice. Remove from the microwave and stir in the garlic.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken, celery, and peanuts, and stir to coat all of the chicken.
- Cook the corn tortillas for a few minutes on each side on a griddle pan over medium-high heat or under a broiler until slightly blistered.
- To assemble, place a couple of spoonfuls of the chicken mixture into the center of each tortilla and top with green onions, red bell pepper, and a squeeze of lime juice.