It’s time again for a recipe swap, hosted by my dear friend Sarah of A Taste of Home Cooking. The theme for this round was Grilling, but the recipes submitted didn’t have to be something cooked on the grill, just something that you would take to or make at a cookout. So, side dishes, main dishes, desserts…whatever one might have at a cookout. I received this side dish recipe from Nicole at Cookies on Friday, and I knew that J would be excited. You see, he loves olives, but I do not. Therefore I do not generally cook with them. I do, however like most of the rest of the ingredients, so I opted to make the full recipe for him, and a small bowl sans olives and red onions for myself 🙂 Compromise is a good thing people.
Be sure to check out all the other great submissions for this swap below!!
- 1 cucumber
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 red onion, sliced or diced, your choice
- 1/2 lb feta cheese, diced or crumbled
- 1/2 cup calamata olives, pitted
For the vinaigrette
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Peel the cucumber and cut in half lengthwise. Then cut into 1/4 inch slices (like half-moons). If you want smaller pieces, cut those slices in half.
- Mix the cucumber, peppers, tomatoes and red onion in a large bowl.
- To make the vinaigrette, whisk together the garlic, oregano, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the vegetables. Add the feta and olives and toss lightly. Set aside for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to marry and serve at room temperature.