Once a month (sometimes twice) we watch the UFC fights on pay-per-view. Sometimes we go out to a bar, sometimes we stay home and buy it. Saturday we decided to stay home and make pizza on the grill…mmm mmm good! We’ve grilled pizzas a couple of times before, and we absolutely love it! It was a little hot outside in the 106 degree Texas heat, but we figured it was better than turning the oven on in the house! You can view our first attempt here and see the improvement (I hope)!
This round we made a pepperoni & mushroom, and plain pepperoni. Eventually we will probably get a little more experimental with our toppings, but for now we stick to what we know we like!
|Dough rolled out and ready to go on the grill|
|One side done, ready for toppings|
|Back on the grill|
You can use any toppings you like, and below are my dough and sauce recipes!
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus extra for coating the bowl
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Mix the water, honey & oil in a bowl. Sprinkle the yeast on top and let sit until it gets foamy.
- In another bowl, combine the flour & salt. Add the water mixture 1/2 cup at a time until fully incorporated. If the dough is sticky, add more flour; if it is stiff, add more water. Continue to mix until it feels elastic. Spread onto a lightly floured surface and knead until the dough is smooth and easy to work with. Do not overwork or it will be tough.
- Oil a third bowl, and place the dough in it, turning to coat all sides. Drizzle a little extra oil over the top of the dough. Seal tightly with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise, about an hour. Dough will double in size.Punch the dough down and knead on a slightly floured surface until smooth. Divide into 2 equal balls.
- Spread grits onto your rolling surface, and roll out 1 ball at a time. You can use a rolling pin, or just stretch it into your desired shape by hand. Once rolled to your desired shape and thickness, spread about 1 Tbs of oil on each side. Now you are ready to grill!!
- Grilling instructions vary depending on the type of grill you own…but grill over indirect heat for 3 minutes, then turn 180 degrees and repeat. Remove pizza onto pan, flip over and apply toppings, then return to grill for 5 minutes. Turn 180 degrees and grill for additional 5 minutes until bottom is crisp and cheese is melted.
- 3 mince garlic cloves
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 1 can tomato puree (29 oz)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 oz)
- 2 Tbs brown sugar
- 2 Tbs dried oregano
- 2 Tbs dried basil leaves
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes