I’m not always a big pasta salad person. Especially if it’s mayo-based. Not because I don’t like mayo (well, I don’t, I like miracle whip – but you get the gist), but I just don’t usually love the flavors involved. Give me a vinaigrette-based pasta salad though, and I’m usually on board! When I saw this recipe in my Salad cookbook, it sounded delicious, and it gave me room to customize whatever veggies I wanted to include. That’s my kind of recipe!
I opted to use shrimp for the first go ’round, because it goes well with ginger, and really because I just like shrimp! Broccoli slaw, green onions, and edamame were my veggies of choice and it all came together perfectly. Don’t forget to add the peanuts though…it really does make a difference! This is a great low cal (276 cal/serving) dish that you can have as a quick lunch or dinner anytime!!
You can also make this with chicken, or as a vegetarian dish, if you like. And the veggies are easily substituted with whatever you like…pea pods, radishes, broccoli, etc. The possibilities are endless!!
Ginger-Peanut Pasta Salad
Source: Better Homes and Gardens Quick Toss Salad Meals
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp chile oil or hot pepper sauce
- 8 oz dried rotini
- 2 cups broccoli slaw
- 1 cup edamame
- 2 cups cooked salad shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 3 Tbsp snipped cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped peanuts
- Combine the olive oil, rice vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, and ginger in a jar with a screw top. Shake well to combine and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Cook the rotini according to package instructions, adding the edamame for the last 3 minutes. Drain the pasta and edamame in a colander, rinse with cold water, and drain again.
- Combine the pasta, edamame, broccoli slaw, shrimp, green onions, and cilantro in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the mixture and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, to allow the flavors to set. Toss the salad again and top with chopped peanuts before serving.