It’s no secret that I love chocolate. In all forms, and as much and as often as I can get it. I also love chocolate combined with cherries, so when I was selected for the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program with Duncan Hines and I received coupons for (8) free Duncan Hines products and (1) Comstock Pie Filling, I immediately thought of Black Forest Cake. I’ve never made one before, but cherry pie filling and chocolate cake…yes, please!! I knew that I didn’t have all the ingredients (i.e. cherry brandy) for “traditional” Black Forest Cake, so I decided to take the idea of it and turn it into something similar. I used Duncan Hines Chocolate Fudge Cake mix, Vanilla Frosting, Chocolate Glaze, and Comstock Cherry Pie Filling to create a delicious Black Forest-like Cake!
Black Forest Cake
- 1 box Duncan Hines Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 container Duncan Hines Vanilla frosting
- 1 bottle of Duncan Hines Chocolate Glaze
- 1 can Comstock Cherry Pie Filling
- 1 oz square of semi-sweet chocolate (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine cake mix, eggs, water and oil in a mixing bowl until well combined.
- Pour cake mixture into two 9-inch cake pans and cook according to package instructions (30-33 minutes) until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow cakes to cool completely. Place one layer on pedestal or cake plate, heat chocolate glaze according to package instructions and drizzle a thin layer over the top of the cake.
- Spoon cherry pie filling over the top of the chocolate glaze (reserving a few for decoration), but keep off of the outer 1/2 inch of the cake.
- Place the second cake layer over the top and coat top and sides with vanilla frosting.
- Place the reserved cherries on the top-center of the cake and then use a vegetable peeler to shave chocolate square onto the top (and sides if you like) for decoration.