Today is a good day. It’s Friday, the start of the 4th of July weekend, and I got out of work at noon. Who could ask for a better start to a long holiday weekend? K is off on Fridays so I was excited to get home and spend some extra time with him. We don’t get to have lunch together during the week ever, so I decided to whip us up a quick lunch as soon as I got home. I saw these chicken bites on How Sweet It Is awhile back, and thought they would make a great weekend lunch – and since we started the weekend early, what better lunch to have?? Chicken bites dipped in crunchy panko mixed with asiago cheese, baked to golden perfection, and then dipped in tangy honey-mustard sauce…yes please!! If I wasn’t so full I would have already finished off the rest of the batch.
Crunchy Asiago Chicken Bites with Honey Mustard Sauce
Source: How Sweet It Is
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup seasoned regular bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup flour (any is fine, I used whole wheat)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated asiago cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2-24 hours before serving, cut chicken breasts into nugget-like chunks. Season with the salt and pepper then add to a bowl and pour buttermilk over top. Let soak for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, heat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, then lay a wire rack on top and spray with non-stick spray. Add honey and mustard to a bowl and mix, then set aside. Add bread crumbs, flour, cheese, garlic powder and paprika to a bowl and mix thoroughly. Remove each nugget directly from the buttermilk to the bread crumb mixture and coat, then set on the wire rack. Repeat with the rest, then spritz each nugget with olive oil or non-stick spray. I usually just use Pam because I like the “spritz” it gives.
- Bake for 7 minutes, then remove pan from oven and gently flip each nugget with kitchen tongs and spritz again with oil or spray. Bake for 7 minutes more, then serve hot with honey mustard.