I made a huge mistake yesterday. I stepped on a scale. Yes, after weeks of binge eating in front of the TV in my new apartment, I stepped on the scale to see what damage I had done. What I saw at my feet made me want to run screaming out of the 4th floor window in my office. Yes, that bad. And right at the beginning of the holiday baking season no less. So, I take a deep breath and tell myself that it’s only a few (well, maybe more than a few) pounds and with an influx of exercise and a well-planned menu I can drop those nasty pounds and get that twenty-year-old body back. Ok, maybe that’s stretching it a bit far, but the point is I decided that after work I would get to the gym and then fix myself a nice healthy dinner. And then I got home.
I had a package of fabulous sweaters that showed as being delivered to my apartment, and I was so excited to get home and see them. I stopped by the apartment office on my way in to see if it had been dropped there, but they didn’t have it. Ok, maybe the neighbor got it for me. I get to my apartment and check with the neighbor who tells me that he didn’t have it, and he hadn’t seen UPS come by today. Hmm…so I check the tracking and see that it was delivered to my first apartment number which is now vacant, but the driver marked down that he delivered it to a male customer. At a vacant apartment…really??? So, I call UPS who tells me that I have to call the store I ordered from, and they have to call UPS to start an “official” investigation. Are you freaking kidding me?? Why did the UPS guy give the package to some random person that wasn’t even in the apartment he was supposed to be delivering to?? At this point I am panicked and pretty pissed off. The store was kind and said they would take care of it, but my night is ruined at this point…the gym and healthy food are the farthest thing from my mind.
I have been drooling over this taquito recipe for a few weeks now, and it sounded like exactly what I needed. And boy was it! I am in love with these delicious little finger foods and I will definitely be freezing some for a rainy day! Today though, I will have a better day and I will get my booty to the gym and eat a healthy meal!!
Creamy Chicken Taquitos
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup salsa verde
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp chile powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried minced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 Tbsp chopped scallions
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Pepperjack cheese
- 8-12 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese with the salsa, lime juice, cumin, chile powder, cayenne, onion powder, garlic, cilantro, scallions, and 1/4 tsp kosher salt. Fold in the chicken and cheeses. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if necessary.
- Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of filling onto the lower third of each tortilla, and roll tightly. Place seam side-down on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.
- Spray the taquitos lightly with cooking spray, sprinkle with salt. Bake 15-20 minutes, or until the tortillas are crisp and golden-brown. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.