I experience yet another true Monday this week. A deliriously frustrating, want-to-pull-my-hair-out and scream kind of Monday. And once again, I managed to take a deep breath – make that quite a few deep breaths – and push through the day without any collateral damage. We are doing some renovations at the office right now, and let’s just say that being the overseer of it all can get a bit sticky sometimes. Don’t get me wrong, I love my job, but some days I still say, “What the hell was I thinking???” Then I calm down and remember it’s not me who has the problem, and life is peachy again 🙂
I had big plans for Monday night. Plans that involved me being in the kitchen for a very long time. Like, cooking three meals in a row kind of long. Yep, I am insane. Especially on a Monday!! But I digress. There is nothing more satisfying than making a meal that you truly enjoy eating, but even more so when it’s been a rough day. This salad was enough to make me smile even though my feet and knees were aching from standing in the kitchen for 2+ hours. In itself it didn’t take very long at all, so it’s an easy weeknight meal to prepare. The spices on the fish mesh well with the fruit and the tangy vinaigrette. Ah, yes…the perfect ending to a long Monday. Although, this would be the perfect meal to end any day of the week!
Cod, Mango, Grapefruit & Avocado Salad
Adapted from Bobby Flay
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 1/2 cup grapefruit juice
- 2 cod fillets
- Place first 6 ingredients in food processor and blend until almost smooth.
- Add juice and blend well. Season spice mixture with salt pepper.
- Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper, and place in a shallow dish. Pour the spice mixture over the fillets. Refrigerate 20 minutes.
- Turn broiler on High.
- Remove fish from marinade and season with salt and pepper. Broil for approximately 10 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons grapefruit juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a food processor or blender, combine the grapefruit juice, vinegar, mint and ginger until well mixed and smooth.
- While on low speed, slowly pour in the olive oil to emulsify.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 3 cups mixed baby greens
- 1 pink grapefruit, peeled and cut into segments
- 1 large mango, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, thinly sliced
- Place greens in a large bowl and drizzle with some of the dressing, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat, divide on 2 plates.
- Arrange grapefruit segments and mangoes on top of the greens and drizzle with some of the dressing; place 1 fish fillet along each salad. Top fish with avocado.