So I have a confession to make. I’ve been holding something back from you guys. Something I should have shared with you months ago. Something that could change your life.
Yes, I know that sounds a bit dramatic, but seriously you guys. Seriously. This broccoli and apple salad is probably one of the best things I’ve eaten in a loooong time. And J loves it. Like, really loves it. Possibly more than me.
Now, I love salads of all sorts, but veggie salads (as in, no leafy greens) have never really been my thing. Probably because I never really tried them. What a fool I was. I think J and I had a version of broccoli salad at some event that neither of us can recall, and while that particular version was fairly sweet, J really liked it and wanted me to recreate it somehow. So, I started looking online at broccoli salad recipes. A lot of them looked good, but when I found this particular one, I knew it would be “the one.” It does have a little sweetness to it, but that can be adjusted, or even left out. We don’t use refined sugar if we can help it, so I usually sub honey or agave or something of the sort in place of sugar.
This salad takes no more than 15 minutes to throw together and it is seriously amazing. Like, I’m taking it to every summer party that requires a shareable dish this summer, amazing. And once you try it, you will want to do the same, no doubt. And since 4th of July is this weekend…what better time to try it?!?! You can come back here and thank me in the comments after you do 🙂
Broccoli & Apple Salad
As seen on The Recipe Critic
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets, (about 2 medium heads)
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 2 large apples, finely chopped (I think a red apple variety is better in this salad than a Granny Smith)
- ½ cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup lite mayonnaise (I used Light Miracle Whip)
- ½ cup low fat Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp sugar (or honey)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl combine broccoli, carrots, apples, pecans, dried cranberries, and sunflower seeds.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Spoon the dressing into the bowl with the broccoli and apple mixture and stir or toss to coast. Refrigerate until ready to serve, and enjoy!!